About this artwork
- title: Fish
- accession number: GMA 4061
- artist: Eduardo PaolozziScottish (1924 - 2005)
- gallery: Scottish National Gallery Of Modern Art (Modern One)(In Storage)
- object type: Work on paper
- materials: Collage and ink on paper
- date created: About 1946
- measurements: 32.10 x 54.90 cm
- credit line: Bequeathed by Gabrielle Keiller 1995
- copyright: © Trustees of the Paolozzi Foundation, Licensed by DACS 2016.
- photographer: Antonia Reeve
Of Italian descent, Paolozzi was born in Leith near Edinburgh. He studied in Edinburgh and London and spent two years in Paris from 1947, where he produced enigmatic, bronze sculptures reminiscent of those by Giacometti. During the same period he made a series of dada and surrealist-inspired collages in which magazine advertisements, cartoons and machine parts are combined, thus anticipating the concerns of Pop Art. Alongside teaching at various art schools he developed his printmaking and sculpture. Paolozzi was particularly interested in the mass media and in science and technology.